Did you know that it’s very easy to tweak your favorite dessert recipes to make them dairy-free? Here is a very simple dessert to make, one that will appeal to your sweet tooth!
¾ cup (180 ml) quick-cooking oatmeal flakes
¾ cup (180 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
1 pinch of baking soda
1 pinch of salt
1 very ripe banana
¼ cup (60 ml) of brown sugar
1 tablespoon (15 ml) of melted coconut oil
1/3 cup (75 ml) of dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 3500F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine oatmeal flakes, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, mash the banana, stir in the brown sugar and coconut oil, and mix well. (Don’t worry if there are chunks of banana remaining.)
- Pour the liquid mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir gently.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir the mixture one last time.
- Place dough balls on a cookie sheet and flatten slightly with your fingertips.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes. The cookies are ready when the edges are golden-brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool for five minutes before serving.
Yields approximately 10-12 cookies
Marie-Noël Gingras works in the Department of Animal Advocacy at the Montreal SPCA. In the past few years, she has collaborated on numerous projects related to animal rights and welfare (the Vert et Fruité and Vegan Portraits blogs, the Montreal Vegan Festival), as well as collaborated with the Défi végane 21 jours book, published in spring 2016 (Éditions Trécarré). You can follow her on Facebook.