Thanksgiving, or the harvest festival, is a great opportunity to cook a hearty meal to share with family and friends. Traditionally, in addition to stuffing and cranberry sauce, turkey has always taken centre stage, but now with all the great plant-based options out there, we can tuck into a fabulous feast without harming our animal friends.
Every year in Canada, over 20 million turkeys are killed for food, a large number of them for the Thanksgiving and holiday seasons.
Here are a few tasty animal-free dishes you can enjoy this fall!
1. Gardein holiday roast (available at grocery stores and speciality shops)
2. Vegan mushroom, chestnut & cranberry tart by Jamie Oliver
3. Tofurky veggie roast (available at grocery stores and speciality shops)
4. Vegan ravioli with pumpkin and ricotta by Oh My Veggies
5. Holiday roast at Café Dei Campi (1360 boulevard Rosemont, Montreal)
Even more recipes to try!
Potage d’automne végétalien (courge, lait de coco et gingembre), d’Audrey Sckoropad
Rôti de seitan farci aux marrons et aux noix, de Marie Laforêt
Patate douce rôtie au four, de Citron Gingembre
Sauce « gravy » végane, de La cuisine de Jean-Philippe
Tarte végane à la citrouille, de L’assiette végane
Marie-Noël Gingras works in the Department of Animal Advocacy at the Montreal SPCA. In the past few years, she has collaborated on numerous projects related to animal rights and welfare (the Vert et Fruité and Vegan Portraits blogs, the Montreal Vegan Festival), as well as collaborated with the Défi végane 21 jours book, published in spring 2016 (Éditions Trécarré). You can follow her on Facebook.